Saturday, February 26, 2011

Discovery

Shuttle Discovery

The other day I was at the dog park on Davis Island when I saw four cars with elderly people sitting in foldable chairs outside of their cars.  When I first walked by I wondered what they were looking for.  I turned and saw a big ship that I hadn't recognized, but I didn't think that could be it.  Finally realizing what I read on the internet the other day, it was a space shuttle take-off.  Instantly, I stood and looked at the sky but it was covered with clouds in that area.  This prevented everyone from seeing the shuttle from a greater distance.  Endeavour will be the second to last space shuttle launch on April 19th at 7:48 p.m.

In the article, it said that this most recent launch will leave the first humanoid robot to fly in space.  That is amazing.  This will give the opportunity for NASA to continue their research because soon they won't be able to launch shuttles into space.  According to the article, Robonaut 2, or D2, will stay in the space station for a few months before beginning the experiment on having it do simple jobs inside the complex.  If technology all works out in everyone's favor, D2 will become an astronaut assistant.  How far have we come in the past 50 years?  In 1969, we landed on the moon.  Today, we are creating humanoids to assist in space research.

No comments:

Post a Comment