Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"I like America and America likes me"


One of the reasons German artist, Joseph Beuys, was well-known is for his work in performance art.  One piece in particular was titled I like America and America likes me.  It is said that this avantgarde work shaped the future for many other artists.  What I think is most interesting was when I read that Beuys flew to JFK airport in New York for 3 days and was transferred to and from the gallery on a stretcher in an ambulance, just for this project.  After the 3 days, he flew out of America.  He said, "I wanted to isolate myself, insulate myself, see nothing of America other than the coyote." 


To me, this creates a sense of confusion among the public as to what to think of this man's sanity and as an artist.  Who flies to a different country for three days to sit in a caged room with a coyote?  Well, this was just the way Beuys was.  His creativity has made him one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.  He influenced Italian Renaissance painters, scientific theories of Galileo, writings of James Joyce, and others who admired his work.  


My take on Joseph Beuys'. I think this performance art project was a great exploration with animals.  It was a very risky three days for him.  As an artist, he had to incorporate stylistic elements as well as trying to stay safe from a wild coyote.  How far can artists really go with their art?  In 1974, Beuys was experimenting and creating new ideas in the art world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment