Monday, March 28, 2011

Orlan: “Art has to shock to justify itself."




An example of what Orlan looked like before any plastic surgery during a performance art, The Kiss of the Artist.



 This is Orlan during surgery for her performance art.


                                         
              After all of her surgeries for art, this is what Orlan looks like now.


I think if anyone first saw Orlan, they would think what has she done to herself? She transformed from a pretty woman into a Cruella Deville looking woman.  I didn't even think this would be considered art in any form.  Until I researched her performance art surgeries, I had never heard of Carnal Art.  Carnal Art is the manipulation and disfiguration of the flesh.  I wonder if this is what she intended to look like or if she just kept experimenting.

This was the first time plastic surgery had ever been used in an artistic form. Since she had always been using herself as an object in performance art, the plastic surgery was taking it to a new level.  Manipulation of the body is considered art.  I guess it is a matter of opinion because it makes me wonder.  As a non-art major, I do not see Orlan's surgical performances as artistic in itself.  However, I do think the way in which she decided to do the surgeries was creative.  She stayed awake even posed during surgery.  I think this is how it can be considered artistic.  Then again, the transformation from how she looked prior to the surgeries compared to after them is how she expressed herself as an artist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment